Monday 7 October 2013

2 out of 3 - Artist Model Research

Eadweard James Muybridge
Eadweard Muybridge (9 April 1830 - 8 May 1904) was an English photographer. His photographic studies of motion and in motion-picture projection were very significant. Muybridge's work is known for pioneering on animals locomotion in 1877 and 1878. For this to happen, he used multiple cameras to capture the motion in stop-motion photographs, and his zoopraxiscope, a device he uses to project motion pictures that pre-dated the flexible perforated film strip used in cinematography.
Where have I used Muybridge's work in my concept?
On my first board on the second row, I have used 4 pictures to show how I've used Muybridge's work. These series of photos are steps of playing the Lali. It's like a film watching step by step of what I'm doing. I've used Muybridge's work because he has displayed some amazing motion images that flows and is something that is very special to him. Showing that through my concept will capture the audience. Cultural customs and background heritage is important to me because I would like to show everyone the way Tongans are and how important it is for us to break down our traditional ways for other people to understand.

Tina Modotti
Tina Modotti (August 16 (or 17) 1896 - January 5, 1942) was an Italian Photographer, model, actress, and a revolutionary political activist. Modotti was introduced to photography as a young girl in Italy by her uncle Pietro Modotti. It was her relationship with photographer Edward Weston that she became an important fine art photographer and documentarian. Mexican photographer Manuel Alvarez Bravo divided Modotti's photography into two categories; ''Romantic'' and ''Revolutionary.'' Tina Modotti was more captivated by the people of Mexico and blended this human interest with a modern aesthetic. As her photography grew within the years, her visual vocabulary matured. Flowers, formal experiments with architectural interiors, urban landscapes, and especially close-up images of workers hands.
Where have I  used Modotti's work in my concept?
On my first board half way through, I will putting up close up images of Siaosi(brother). It will be similar to Modottis photograph, ''Worker's Hand.'' (pic. below). These close up images will be of traditional male dance moves. (e.g. below). Close up on more hands will be further down the second board showing important hand movements of a traditional Tongan dance (female). I have used Modotti's work in my concept because these images tell a story. I'm trying to express the importance of dancing and how it relates to my concept; showing it off. Modotti not only took photos for the sake of it. She loved the Mexican people and was heavily involved in community services.

2 comments:

  1. Again good work. Really well expressed and thoughtful. 'Ailine you have done this so well:) will post more later in the week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much miss :) that means a lot ! okie dokies :D

    ReplyDelete