Thursday 27 June 2013

Ko au 'eni, mou me'a mai - Analysing & Explaining 2/4 first photos for my folio

I finally re-took my photographs for my new concept, Ko au 'eni, mou me'a mai.These 2 images are the 2 out of 4 of my first 4 images on my folio. I still haven't had the chance to take photos of me and my cultural portrait and a photograph of all my objects together. I feel like I have been on a roll with my new concept and ideas are rolling in and making me think deeper on how to portray my images in an astonishing and fascinating way. Originally I wasn't planning to use myself in my concept, but realizing that I had no idea on how to stance my portrait and take photos, my Photography Teacher, Mrs Clemence suggested that I use myself to create more effect and meaning to my photographs.

 <-- Photo1  Photo2 -->
After many attempt of taking photos of me flicking out the Lavalava, I was pleased that this image (photo1) I was pretty happy with. There was one photo that i really loved, but it looked like I was 'trying' to look at the camera & it shows too much of my double chin hahahaha (photo2). Photo1 shows it aswell D: D:
But I've become to like photo1. I really like how the lighting has contrasted between the colours of hot firey yellow and gradually climbed up the Lavalava to the original colour of the material. I especially like how I've edited the photo so that the patterns of the Lavalava have been brought out  I also like how I've positioned myself with the Lavalava, we are both evenly fitted into the frame and has worked well with a side viewpoint. 


In this photograph of my Polynesian drum called the Lali (Tongan) or Pate (Samoan), I really like how its composed. The way that I've placed the drum was unintentional. I didn't realize how I took this, but when I finished looking through my attempts I really like how I've angled the Lali.But I do remember that I literally laid on the floor to take this image. Knowing, that this photograph has been taken also from a point of view. The dark contrast on the end of the Lali stick, has attracted 1/4 peoples eye, where as the lighter on the side of the Lali has attracted 3/4 viewers eyes. I believe that in this photograph we can debate about a vanishing point happening here. The shadow of the Lali sticks shows the ending of it and it leads but connects to the Lali itself.

7 comments:

  1. i love your photos so much, the lighting suits the red colour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw thanks beautiful! same goes for your images! amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like looking at these two photos side by side, is that something you are going to play with on your board? it is kind of like and action sequence of the moving event which is very cool. you should look up this guy 'Muybridge', who is way older than me... and did movement based photos back when even taking a photo was a week long event. Look at how you see the little individual photos as one image and how they make you believe in the movement and show you little nuances and details that you miss when you are seeing a moving version of the same action. Before his photos, I am fairly sure that people were not sure if all 4 hooves on a horse running, were ever off the ground at once. He may have provided important scientific evidence at the time of movements and muscles etc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS PHOTO IS REALLY REALLY NICE(: YOU SHOULD BE PROUD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photo of the Lali - it's very well composed. The light is soft, and shows off the wood of the Lali. The shadow is really stark. The shapes of the objects are solid and geometric, which is a nice complement and contrast to the plain white background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh thank you for the comment miss :) much appreciated

    ReplyDelete